Sightseeing in LA Before the Hyperemesis Gravidarum Starts

Yesterday, we drove to LA to do some tourist stuff.  We kind of had to since our car had to be taken to the dealership for some work and the closest dealer is in LA.  They gave us a lovely Cadillac that is completely pimped out, and, with the help of the Nav system, we got into all kinds of trouble.

First, we visited the La Brea Tar Pits, which is something I’ve always wanted to do.  It did not disappoint.  We did the walk around the big asphalt lake, which was very cool.  The big fiberglass mammoths are a little campy, but the lake itself (water on top of an asphalt quarry), was very cool.  The whole thing bubbles and fizzes with methane gas releases, and there’s this sheen of oil across the top of the water.  A huge fence keeps people back, away from the water.  Surrounding the lake are a few much smaller fenced areas (think 3′ x 3′) where the tar had apparently just randomly bubbled up.  The whole effect is pretty creepy.

la brea tar pits

We explored the museum area, which the Grasshopper seemed to really enjoy.  There were several docents in the museum with carts of different bone casts for her to touch, and later we got to walk around the grounds even more.  There were many tar pits in the park around the museum and lake that had been excavated, and a few that were being excavated right then.  There were a few with big bubbles of tar breaking the surface.  Scattered around the park were a lot more little spots where tar had bubbled up.  Some were old with permanent fences to keep people back.  Others were newer and had traffic cones marking them off.  Very cool and prehistoric.

It was a great outing, and I highly recommend that if you are ever in LA.  The Grasshopper loved seeing all the animal bones, and my husband and I thought the bubbling tar was very cool.

We ate lunch a few blocks away at a burger place.  I couldn’t do a burger today for some reason.  Something about the meat.  The idea of it just turned me off, but I did have their fried dill pickle chips and a salad.  I love fried dill pickles.  Slather those puppies in ranch dressing and I am one happy camper.  Fried pickles are a Southern food that this girl just craves.  Unfortunately, this burger joint tries to fancy them up with an apricot sauce.  Very California, but just not the way fried pickles are meant to be eaten.  Two little cups of ranch later and I was a happy camper.

How cliché is that?  The pregnant woman waxing poetic about pickles.  Hey, I’m just still happy to be waxing poetic about any kind of foodstuff.

My husband and I were talking about it in the car, and we both agreed that if it stayed like this, life would be pretty good.  Even if I had to take medicine all pregnancy, I would still love this.  It’s early, though.  I’m not going to set myself up for disappointment.

I managed to talk him into taking me to IKEA to get a few small things to finish off the Grasshopper’s room, and the nav system took us on a merry tour of LA.  We went through Korea town, Little Bangladesh, the Ethiopian neighborhood, Phillipino Town, and a variety of other places.  It was quite the downtown detour.  We made it to IKEA, got our stuff, and headed home.

I was exhausted.  I mean, seriously tired.

Then last night, I had bad dreams.  I dreamed that the pregnancy turned out to be ectopic, but there on the ultrasound was the perfect picture of a tiny, tiny baby with its heart just beating away.  If I didn’t have the surgery to remove it, I would die.  If I did, there would be no way to save the tiny baby.  I woke up feeling sad and unwell.

I have got to slow down.

I had to lay in bed a little longer this morning to wait for the Zofran to kick in before I could get up, and I’m finding that I need to sit mostly.  I think the illness is just very slowly creeping up on me.  I’m still mostly feeling okay, but sometimes a little wave will come along just to remind me.

I still want to rest up and try to see if we can go to Vietnamese New Year later today.  There’s the promise of excellent food and a neat cultural experience.  That’s something we can all get excited about.

12 thoughts on “Sightseeing in LA Before the Hyperemesis Gravidarum Starts

  1. Lol this West Texas girl had to wonder if you were kidding about all of the “little” countries within L.A.! I’ve never heard of most of them. Little Korea I knew about only through the movie “Crash”.

    Reading this entry made me think back and try to remember when my first HG experience was. I *think* it was at 6 weeks. I had my first ultrasound to make sure mine wasn’t ectopic. I had no such history, but I was experiencing pain on my right ovary, so they sent me in just to be safe. That morning was the first of many many bad days. I remember when I first got sick that morning, before our ultrasound appointment, Travis said, “Look at it this way, things have to be going along well or you wouldn’t be experiencing morning sickness, right?”

    At that ultrasound, they confirmed it wasn’t ectopic, but it was still far too early to even see a fetal pole. My OBGYN (the good one who I found later) always wondered if I was actually 6 weeks when I had that ultrasound with the other doc. She always speculated that I was actually only 4 weeks pregnant, I guess because at 6 they should’ve seen something. Anyway, if she’s right and I was actually 4 weeks pregnant, then that’s when my hell started. I didn’t have a chance at preparing. It’s so good that you have a little bit of time before the storm.

    I’m so happy for you that you were able to spend some time with your family. It’s funny, HGer’s often don’t get to “nest” in the traditional “clean your house from top to bottom and stay up all night putting a crib together” kind of way…but in a tiny fraction, you’re getting to nest BEFORE. So that’s a blessing, right?

    I’m so excited about embarking on an adoption journey, because I’ll get to nest in ways I never got to when I was pregnant with Jojo. I’ll finally get that experience, even if it’s still in an unconventional way. Just as you’re having to find pieces of normal before the monster attacks, I’ll have to find pieces of normal to hold to when we start the long journey to our next baby.

    All the best,


  2. I know what you mean about nesting ahead of time. I think I’m doing that with Gabi.

    Kat, would you consider blogging about your adoption journey? That would be such an interesting read, and it would be a great way to find support through your experiences.


  3. I’m honored that you would suggest such a thing! I am a member on an adoptive parent forum and have an online journal on there, but it would be a great comfort to have other women reading my blog besides just my fellow adoptive parents, you know? I’ve considered it, and have even started to set up a blog several times, but since I’m no longer on facebook or myspace (I felt an addiction forming, so I cut ties), I was concerned about who would read. If you think it’s an interesting enough tale to tell, I’ll do it. (From a fellow writer, the encouragement speaks volumes.)


  4. Thank you. I’ll get on that then. 🙂 (maybe I just needed to know someone besides my mom and mother in law would be reading)


  5. Oh, yeah. I understand that completely!

    Please do consider wordpress. I was briefly blogging in google blogger, and didn’t love it so much. I grudgingly switched to wordpress, and the rest is history! I can’t reccomend it enough!


  6. @ Kat: I’d read an HG/adoption blog for sure!
    @ Pal: You remembered the “poke rines!” Lawsy, I miss me some “poke rines!” Glad you got those pickles, although, I TOTALLY agree with you re: the apricot sauce. And now for something completely different: have you ever had a Zofran pump?


  7. Ashli, I did have a zofran pump in my last pregnancy. I didn’t write it into my protocol this time because it just hurt so much, and I think if I’m sick enough to need the pump, I’m probably sick enough to need fluids. I’d rather just run it all through a line instead of having to stick myself over and over. Last time, though, the pump saved my life I think. The Reglan pump, not so much. Then they switched me over to zofran when the Reglan made me suicidal, but I was so dehydrated that there wasn’t much the zofran could do. A couple days later, into the hospital I went for a couple of days of steady fluids. That was when I finally started turning the corner.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s