Due to some scheduling issues, both doula meetings got pushed to this week. We met with Doula 2 on Tuesday evening (that was the night I ended up puking in case you forgot) and Doula 1 yesterday at lunch.
Both meetings went very well. Both offered pretty much the same services. Doula 1 has attended a lot more births than Doula 2, but Doula 2 seemed pretty competent as well and is in the process of completing her DONA training. All she’s got left is the paperwork.
I think it’s just going to come down to a simple, subjective decision. Who did we like better?
We committed to both of them that we would let them know early next week, so Mr. Grasshopper and I have the weekend to talk about it.
Below are some things I picked up on from both Doulas.
- Has what seems like a little more authoritative personality, which I appreciate. No guilt about running over her with my own balls to the wall personality. She seems perfectly capable of pushing me when I might need it the most.
- Has attended over 40 births
- Teaches a childbirth education class and can speak with authority on risks/benefits of interventions and various birth situations that arise
- Former Bradley instructor
- Is willing to listen to my hypnobabies tracks and read the book to learn more about this
- Soft and gentle personality
- Very kind to the Grasshopper, wants to make sure she’s comfortable in her presence, but since the Grasshopper won’t be joining us for the birth is this completely critical?
- Almost half the price of Doula 1 due to not completing her DONA certification
- Didn’t take the lead as much in the conversation, so I worry a little that she may not be able to push me the way I might need to be pushed
- Also highly recommended by the midwives
- Also very willing to learn about hypnobabies