It’s been a while since I’ve updated you all on what I’m currently taking med-wise for the hyperemesis gravidarum. The good news is that right now the vitamins are outnumbering the drugs. Hooray! This means I can keep down vitamins!
Remember: I am taking all of these under the very specific guidance and direction of my midwives. With any vitamin or medicine you need to consult your medical care team before starting. Some of these interact with each other and must be taken on a specific timetable. Always ask before taking a medicine, vitamin, or herb. Especially if you are pregnant or nursing!
So, without further ado, here is what I’m on:
- Nexium 20 mg – 1 tablet at night
- Zofran 8 mg ODT – 1 tablet before rising in the morning
- New Chapter Every Woman’s One Daily – 1 tablet 1x/day with food
- Floradix Iron and Herbs supplement – 1 tablet 3x/day with food
- Jarrow’s shelf-stable probiotic – 1 tablet 4x/day
- MegaFood Whole Food Calcium, Magnesium, Potassium – 1 tablet 2x/day (not at the same time as the Floradix because calcium will prevent my body from absorbing the iron effectively)
- Nature’s Sunshine 5-W herbal blend – 2 tablets 3x/day with food (contains black cohosh so if you are interested in this, consult your midwife or doctor first and take under their guidance)
- Alfalfa tablets 1000 mg – 2 tablets 3x/day with food
- Evening Primrose Oil 1000 mg – 1 capsule 1x/day (to increase to 2 capsules next week)
It’s a lot of pills and tablets to swallow, and I’ve really had a hard time remembering to take everything. I noticed, though, that when I miss doses my body lets me know. When I forget the cal/mag/pot I get horrible leg cramps at night. When I miss the multivitamin and the iron I feel dizzy and out of breath. Or at least more dizzy and more out of breath than usual.
To help me remember to take these, even when I’m out and about, I’ve started putting the day’s worth of vitamins into a little plastic glad-ware cup. I toss the cup into my purse, and wherever I happen to be at vitamin time, I can break out my little plastic cup-o-vitamins and start swallowing pills.
Taking my meds and vitamins every day at the correct time has really helped improve the way I feel both physically and emotionally.