We got the results back from my group B strep test which allowed us to finalize the loose ends of the birth preferences.
The test came back… NEGATIVE!!!!!!!!
I could not be more thrilled. This makes things so much simpler. No needles, no IVs, no extra stuff to fiddle with, and no need to put the gunk in the baby’s eyes. We did find out that we did have a relative with a clotting disorder, so the vitamin K shot for her is back on.
I provided individual explanations in my original post on the subject: Writing My Birth Preferences, so if there’s something you wonder about, click on over to that post for the reasoning behind each item.
So, with that, here is the finalized version of our birth preferences:
- I don’t want to know baby size until after she’s born.
- I don’t want to have internal checks until I am ready to push.
- Please feel free to suggest position changes!
- Please avoid using the word pain.
- Please no AROM.
- I would like to birth my baby in the water.
- Please no purple pushing.
- For the baby: Yes to the Vit K shot. No to the eye drops.
- Please delay cord clamping.
- I would like an unmanaged 3rd stage if at all possible and deliver the placenta on my own. Would also like to avoid the shot of pitocin unless it’s really and truly necessary.
We’re ready to go. Aside from a few general items like converting the crib into a cosleeper, installing the carseats, and remembering that I will need shirts and pants in the bin I’m packing to go to the birth center, we could have this baby tomorrow and we would be just fine!