I’ve been delaying and delaying on working in my garden this year, and I don’t know why. For some reason, the thought of all the work fills me with dread. Working in the dirt and nurturing the plants always feels so healing but this year, I just can’t seem to motivate myself to get out there.
There’s tons of work that I need to do.
- Make new soil for the square foot garden
- Pull out last year’s dead tomatoes
- Pull out the strawberries which are just completely out of control and taking over both big beds
- Move the trellises to the other side of the beds to rest the soil
- Pull out the chives with the really weird leave shape that volunteered last year
- Put down weed cloth because weeds. Ugh.
- Decide what (aside from the 6 tomatoes and 3 hot peppers I ordered) I will plant
And on and on and on.
Maybe I’m just overwhelmed. Maybe every time I start to get spring fever, the weather pulls a 180 on me and gets cold again.
Right now, my garden is not the lovely, bountiful vision that I had when I built it. Yeah, I know. It’s still practically winter, but last year it wasn’t so great either. Maybe I’m just fatigued by the whole thing. Maybe it’s that I’m the only one in the family who’s excited about the garden. (Although, I would like to point out that everyone in my family appreciates the tomato sauce I put up in the fall!) Who knows. All I know is that I need to get my rear in gear.